There is no geographical distinction between the State and City of Monaco, although responsibilities of the government (state-level) and of the municipality (city-level) are different.
According to the constitution of 1911, the principality was subdivided into three municipalities:
Monaco (Monaco-Ville), the old city on a rocky promontory extending into the Mediterranean, known as the Rock of Monaco, or simply Le Rocher (the Rock), where the palace is located
Monte Carlo, the principal residential and resort area with the Monte Carlo Casino in the east and northeast
La Condamine, the northwest section including the port area, Port Hercule
The municipalities were merged into one in 1917, after accusations that the government was acting according to the motto "divide and conquer" and they were accorded the status of wards (quartiers) thereafter.
Fontvieille was added as fourth ward, a newly constructed area reclaimed from the sea (in the 1970s)
Moneghetti became the fifth ward, created from a part of La Condamine
Larvotto became the sixth ward, created from a part of Monte Carlo
La Rousse/Saint Roman (including Le Ténao) became the seventh ward, also created from a part of Monte Carlo
Subsequently, three additional wards were created:
Saint Michel, from a part of Monte Carlo
La Colle, from a part of La Condamine
Les Révoires, from a part of La Condamine
An additional ward was planned by new land reclamation, to be settled from 2014. Prince Albert II announced in his New Year Speech 2009 that plans had been put on hold due to the current economic climate.