Āgenskalns & Ķīpsala
Located on the left bank, Āgenskalns was mainly built in the 19th and 20th Century. The district has the beautiful Maritim Park Hotel Riga and Agenskalns Market. Ķīpsala is an island on the left bank connected to the rest of the city by the Shroud Bridge.
Centrs (New Riga)
New Riga was built in the first half of the 20th century. It mainly comprised of six-story houses, numerous cafes, shops and restaurants as well as beautiful Orthodox churches.
The famous Art Nouveau architecture is also represented in this part of the city.
Full of deluxe hotels, boutiques, expensive cafes and restaurants, shopping centers, bars, the best night clubs are all there. Governmental and business organizations, major private companies, most important banking facilities are concentrated there.
The Brīvības piemineklis (Freedom Monument) is also located in this district. The monument is not only a symbol of Latvia freedom, it is also a symbol of the city. For shopping you can find a great deal at Barona Centrs .
The Vegas Entertainment Complex is a great for entertainment since its a casino, nightclub, restaurant and bar.
Čiekurkalns & Mezaparks
Located on the right side of Daugava this area is mainly a lovely residential area.
However, the Mezaparks area has a sad history and the Kaiserwald Concentration Camp was was located near here when the Nazis occupied the city. Now Mezaparks contains a park and grand houses, it also contains the Riga Zoo.
Jugla, Mežciems & Purvciems
These districts can be found on the right side of Daugava and are mainly contain shopping and residincial areas. Latvijas Etnografiskais Brivdabas Muzejs (Ethnographic Open-Air Museum) can be found here and is one of the best museums in the city. There is also shopping at Domina and Alfa .
Ķengarags & Maskavas forštate
Ķengarags & Maskavas forštate can be found on the right side of the river.
The Rīgas Centrāltirgus (Riga Central Market) is located here and was started in 1930. There are also great restaurants, such as krievu sēta .
Vecrīga (Old Town)
The Old City is famous for its narrow cobbled streets and alleys and historical houses many of which have maintained their looks up to the present day.
Old Riga is not tall, there are three or four story houses among which the steeples and peaks of beautiful medieval churches can be seen.
Pulvertornis (Powder Tower) is a 1330 tower and was part of the Riga fortification wall, now it houses the Kara muzejs (Museum of War) . The 1330 Rīgas Pils (Riga Castle) now houses the President of Latvia.
Old Town also has some of the oldest churches, such as Jēkaba katedrāle (St James' Cathedral) , Svētā Pētera Evaņģēliski luteriskā baznīca (St. Peter's Church) and Svētā Jāņa Evaņģēliski luteriskā baznīca (St John's Church) .
Visitors shouldn't miss Melngalvju nams (House of Blackheads) or Lielā Ģilde (The Great Guild) .